03 August 2006

Stretchmarks and new statistics

Having been up late more than a few times lately, I've experienced first hand the absolute banality of late night telly. The telemarketing shows on in the wee hours of the morning are abolutely dreadful. And during the day. Sometimes I have the telly on for background noise or so that I don't feel rotten about having to be up at 3am (I really should revert to radio listening again...).

Just heard a dreadful add for this product for "reducing the appearance of stretchmarks and skin uneveness". Ad features sob story of a poor lass who had to spend ages agonising about what to wear when sunbaking at the poolside lest her stretchmarks be visible. My heart nearly broke, poor critter (I feel sorry for her because of her totally warped attitude to life, but then, she's probably just an actor paid to say that she's upset about her stretchmarks)!!

I have a lovely new set of 4 stretchmarks on my lower abdomen. Really obvious, red things. I like them. It's like getting a set of markings that signify I have been through childbirth. I have carried a bub for 9 1/2 months, my belly has stretched and changed my centre of gravity. Then I had a baby, and it shrunk back to how it was* in about 1/6 of the time it took to grow out. I've been through that life changing event, and have something to signify it on my body. What's the big deal? My partner loves my body, I'm comfortable in it, and I couldn't give a toss what someone else might think should they see my stretchmarks at the beach or pool.

And none of the other recent mums I've met give a toss either. There are far more important things to be thinking of when you have a newborn... (minor things like keeping it warm, fed and secure).

-----------------

We got our census forms last night - a new member of the household to add! Such a novelty that I read through the form and smiled at all the additional items that would have to be filled out this time around! We are no longer a couple household, we're a family with 1 dependent child! Cool!

*(well almost...)

3 comments:

BSharp said...

You could have them tattooed over in pink and purple. Scarification is for pussies, man! Mum-marking thats the new thing. (mum-ification?) sorry.

meririsa said...

He he hee!

Anonymous said...

Seen this site yet?

http://www.shapeofamother.blogspot.com/