30 July 2006

late 80's early 90's flashbacks

C-chan - ever the hobbyist compilation maker - has just made a compilation or two of late 80's early 90's songs, catapulting me back into the middle years of high school with a thump.

Ah - PM Dawn, with "Set Adrift on Memory Bliss"... one of the first songs I remember with a recognisable sample (Spandeau Ballet); "Busta Move" by Young MC; "Push it" by Salt-n-Pepa; "Fight for your right to Party" by the Beasties; "Insane in the Membrane" by Cypress Hill; and "Trout" by Neneh Cherry and Michael Stipe. To name a few.

Takes me back to days of bludging school (insert sharp intake of breath)*, getting pretend drunk on alcohol-free wine purchased from the supermarket, or later, potent cocktails of whatever we could safely raid from the folks' liquour cabinet, or strongbows if our big brothers were willing to buy it for us, roaming the neighbourhood with friends at night, and sneaking for walks along the train tracks (not too dangerous in 'delaide, because in off-peak trains only come every hour anyway).

Ah, those were the days... were they? Happy to be without the teen angst and puppy fat, but I note that there aren't that many daring boundaries I am even interested in pushing at the moment. I have a different concept of boundaries I'd like to push these days I suppose...

Must check on the baby... who'll be going through a teenagerhood of his own in 14 or so years time. I wonder what boundaries he'll be trying to push? and what limits C-chan and I will be trying to set?

*nb I did this to see if I could get away with it, not because I particularly hated school or was cool

No comments: