31 August 2006

Goo! nnnngh! gggggggurgle!...... waaaaa!

From that title you might deduce I'm lacking adult company a bit. That my vocabulary is shrinking... That I'm finding it hard to string adult sentences together. Well I think you're right.

Not that I'm not totally into being a parent. Not that E-chan doesn't deserve my complete attention. But, I am finding that these four walls, the internet and television (ie source of most of my inward flow of information at present) a little bit stale. Am loving reading other blogs, but conversation via blog is either unidirectional or depends when people log in.

Time to broaden horizons a bit. Time to get to know the mother's I've met recently on a one to one level, not just because we have babies a similar age. Time to get out and talk to people in the real world. And get E-chan accustomed to being out and about, so that he isn't freaked out by pigeons in the park, or overstimulated by the leaves rustling in the sun... Time to start making time for those hobbies I had in mind... sewing stuff (now I have a sewing machine!), painting stuff (now I have some acrylic paints!)...

Which leads me to contemplate going back to work next May seriously for the first time since E-chan came into this world*. I now understand why so many other women enjoy going back to work for some "adult time". It's not that I'm missing my job... I'm actually thinking that my work is a bit too... urm how would you say it? It's not important enough. It's not life changing enough. It is important in a baby step kind of way. It's just that actual real life baby steps are more exciting!! Probably not a good idea to have a rivetting job when you have a little 'un, as you wouldn't want your job to become a higher priority.

Who's for a visit some time in the coming weeks? Who's for (shock, horror) a girls night out** at the pub?

*Which I'm bound to do unless my contract isn't renewed.
**And I think C-chan could do with a blokes night out to celebrate both finishing his degree and becoming a Super-duper Dad. (Love you honey!)

5 comments:

BSharp said...

Sounds great. We could even have a "girls afternoon" - like in the local park or something. So that the munchkin can come along too. And congratulations to C-chan, man!

Mermaidgrrrl said...

I suspect it's really important to have some other mothers to hang out with so you can all empathise with each other and talk that baby talk with to get it out of your system as well as having others who understand your time/baby restrictions on social stuff. If it makes you feel better every single mum I know finds herself kind of non-consensually bound up in baby talk and finding it hard to reintegrate in the "real world". I think the hormones make you that way so you don't leave the baby at home in the cot and go to the pub!

meririsa said...

Aren't single parents amazing? I've often wondered whether I'd be able to cope on my own - but I suppose you would find a way somehow because you had to. Couldn't be easy though.
My mother's group has been fantastic - have met some mum's there and we are just beginning to get to know each other. If you don't have much in common with other mums, though, spending time with them can just be like spending a few hours comparing bubs... "my little Jr did this" "Oh really? For me it was more like this" etc etc. Useful for knowing where your bub fits in the spectrum of life, not necessarily good for building lasting friendships with people who you might grow to trust enough to look after your child or let you look after theirs.
As for going out without my baby with me - this is the first time I've wanted to in 3 months, and I think that's fine and healthy. Most of the time, I'd rather be with him.

J said...

Love to come for gals night out pet - bring it on!! Sounds great. I have the phone back on at home now btw, very exciting, can actually talk. Will demonstrate with a real live phone call soon :)
Jxxx

J said...

PS and of course you need to get out and see *real* people, and real things after being cooped up inside for ages, poor thing. My 3-yo cousin in Malaysia was scared of leaves because she had lived her whole life almost entirely inside or inside a car - made me reflect on how weird city life really is!!