07 November 2006

National Enforced Gambling Day & Kris Kringle

.... two things I thought I would happily miss being on maternity leave. Or would have thought that, had my brain given these things one split second of attention in the past year. But I could quite happily go on each year, completely oblivious to the idea of Melbourne Cup sweeps and lunches, and Kris Kringles.

I consider both these things a complete waste of money. Firstly, I don't gamble, and I'm not into horses. Never wanted a pony. Ever. Not into the getting all tizzed up and wearing a hat thing, or even the giggly thrills of champagne at the office (well unless we are all given the afternoon off and can have a proper drink, but that never happens - it's always "back to work!!" the minute the winnings are divvied out to the "winners"). Annoys me to no end that you can't get out of entering a Melbourne Cup sweep with a simple "no thanks". That inevitably leads to a "Goo ooooooooon!! It's only $1". Too expensive in my eyes.

I usually end up being out of the office (what a shame) at the moment the so called big race is on, but I think I have felt forced into participating in about 3 Melbourne Cup lunches. I think once I tried to argue that I don't agree with gambling so won't enter, but felt like a complete fool for standing up for my principles. Funny that. You don't get this kind of pressure to attend protest rallies for Global Warming, stand up for your wrongly sacked co-worker or any other cause that is morally right.

Ditto Kris Kringles. This is a waste of time. I think last year I thought I was pleased with my gift - but looking back, I haven't really worn the earrings I was given (a bit of a safety hazzard with a baby now). You rarely get the gift for the other person right, even if you know who you are buying for. It's hard enough buying for those you know and love... most of us have enough stuff and don't need more. Certainly not the $10 or less kind of "stuff". Last year C-chan suggested that his work have an optional donation to a cause instead of a Kris Kringle, and instead they ended up keeping the kris Kringle, and adding the charity donation on top of it. So now he has to spend EVEN MORE!

So why am I whining? Today I have been invited to a Melbourne Cup lunch. Luckily, I have an appointment with my boss at 3:30, so sadly, E-chan and I will have to slip away early. What a shame. And one of the Mums from my Every Now and Then Mothers Group* has suggested a Kris Kringle for the kiddies at our Christmas get together. I'm half tempted to say "you know most of us are on single incomes now, surely it can wait until the kids actually understand what christmas is?". It might not be that bad so long as we get something practical like baby bodysuits for next winter. I suppose in this instance at least we all know what babies need so are unlikely to buy crap... I hope?

Why is it you can't disagree with these things without sounding like a complete party pooper? Why is it wrong to celebrate something worthy of celebration, not just something that happens every year?

*I have a regular weekly catch up with one cool group of Mums, and an every now and then catch up with a group of Mums I met at our antenatal classes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kris Kringle, cause of so much bitterness and landfill. I detest it.

Maybe your mums' club should do a swap day instead of a Kris Kringle - swap clothes or baby accessories you don't need/want any more for ones you do.

Anonymous said...

Check it out: we're famous as anti-melbourne-cup bloggers!

http://blogher.org/node/12361