21 July 2007

Sock fetish

I know ladies are supposed to have shoe fetishes, but I have never been more fond of shoes than I am of any other type of apparel. And because of my slightly wider than average feet, the need to wear orthotics and "good calves" as I was once told I had, I do prefer to wear chunkier shoes (e.g. mary janes, clompy boots etc), and when daintier shoes are in fashion, I don't tend to be buying.

And I think I'm just resigning myself to the fact that I will never be someone with style. I'd like to, but can't be bothered putting the time or money into it. I envy those who always look immaculate and stylish, but much of the time would rather wear comfortable shoes (literally), jeans and t-shirt. Which is much more practical for a mum anyway. I actually am quite restrained when it comes to spending money on clothes. And I also see clothes or accept hand-me-downs that I like because they look warm and comfy, and tell myself they'd be good to wear around the house - but then I end up with a disproportionate amount of a wardrobe that is suitable only for around the house or nipping out to buy milk from the corner store.

Over the years, I've gotten better at finding clothes that suit, but have my own standards I rarely deviate from no matter what the season's fashion is. I like patterned skirts, and like the idea of brightly patterned sundresses, but can never find ones I like and don't cost a fortune (and have never suceeded in sewing something from a pattern that fits). And I have strange hankerings for things like pink corduroy jeans. I'm sure you note these were never in fashion, but I wanted some. I was thrilled to find that the new t@rget near my house stocked them, and bought some; then I lost weight, and they are too big, but that's another matter entirely.

And I like socks, it seems. Don't get me wrong - I don't buy socks all the time, it wouldn't be worth it as I don't wear them every day, I only need about 10 pairs in total, and it takes forever for me to wear them out. But I'm a sucker for slightly novel socks. I see a new range of cotton explorer socks in stripey blue and want them. I was excited by the lavendar scented socks my mother-in-law bought me for mother's day. I see the laundromat near my house advertise that they sell socks and stop for a few minutes to investigate. I could expand this sock fetish into patterned tights, but don't let myself, as I don't look good in short skirts anyway.

What a dag!

No comments: