05 April 2007

Not another conjoined twins special....?

Is it just me, or is there a TV special every couple of months about separating conjoined twins? I know, I know - terrible situation to find yourself in, no doubt. But is the TV air time really justified? OK so TV isn't exactly the window to our lives. And there are some things (such as Alan Jones ranting about issues) that I don't want to see, but understand that there is a big chunk of the population out there (not my friends!) who do think they are interested in what he has to say. Seeing someone give birth on TV used to freak/gross me out, but now it makes me teary and brings back all sorts of happy memories.

But there are some things I sympathise with and agree are serious issues, but JUST DO NOT WANT TO SEE EVER AGAIN. Specials on conjoined twins is one of them.

1 comment:

J said...

Oh I agree. It can all get a little Ground Hog Dayesque can't it. For a while there (about 6 month period?) it felt like everytime I turned on the tv there was 'Bird on a Wire' with Goldie Hawn in it - eughh! Thanks a lot commercial tellie.
And it's not like most of us are insensitive to the notion that being a conjoined twin would be difficult and that you would experience life being stared at by people. Somehow adding a frowning nodding presenter to the doco is meant to transform the show from voyeuristic 'freak show' to something more empathetic... but I wonder.