17 February 2007

Portrait of the Author('s son) as a Young Boy*

A friend of mine with children at high school age was talking about how he has photographic portraits of his two kids that were taken when each of them were 6 months old. He said that the interesting thing about these shots, is that despite their age, the portraits capture some key characteristics of both of the children - that the daughter is raring to go, and wondering what next to conquer... and his son's portrait captured his more docile, dreamy nature.

So it got me thinking about how E-chan might turn out... If I can separate what might be a phase (e.g. the current separation anxiety and screaming the minute we leave him in his cot, and a slightly slapstick sense of humour), from what I think might be how he really is, I might describe him as follows:

- Interested, observant and curious. (I'm hoping this translates to an interest in people, the arts, and the sciences later on in life).
- snuggly!
- talkative
- enthusiastic about food
- good hand control

(This is in comparison to other babies I know. I might have to treat this entry as a bit of a time capsule and come back to it later to see how true this rings...)

Although his character isn't that well developed yet and he's only been out in the world for 8 months, I love him to bits and am incredibly proud of how he has turned out and what he has achieved. How amazing that these bonds form so quickly?!

* For those of you who are thinking my blog title is a tad strange, it's a play on James Joyce's book title "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man"

No comments: