13 February 2007

Oh and I forgot to mention my spur of the moment night out...

A friend of mine from my mum's group goes out once a month to see her favourite band play in Glebe. After nearly going along a few times, I finally decided that I could manage a night out the Friday before last*. I should probably start by saying that the other mum is in her 40's, and has been a long-haul air hostess for much of her working life. See the difference in pre-baby lifestyles there? I'll spell it out - international air hostess, stopping off at many cities, where there was a need to kill some time with some workmates before the flight back... and me - often opting for a quiet night in, like Friday and sometimes even Saturday night television dramas or a glass of wine and a good book.

So off I scampered down the hill to other mum's house after a slightly difficult time settling E-chan, a bit flustered but ready to have a glass or two of wine. It was a night where I only knew one person, and much of what we know of each other are shared baby experiences and swapped birth stories.

We hopped in a taxi and headed over to Glebe to the Excelsior Hotel (wanted to impromptu text Miss J at this stage, but alas! no number to text to!). The band were hilarious, and I had a rip roaring time. The covered songs such as "Sweet Child of Mine", "Diamond on the Soles of her Shoes", "White Satin" in a country style, complete with yodels for the high notes. The crowd were an interesting mix of all ages and types, so no worries about whether or not I stood out or blended in. It turns out my mum-friend is a bit of a bad influence friend (as my mum would have put it) - you know, when you're having a glass of water later on in the night because you don't want anything more to drink, and she goes... "aw, water? Just help me finish my redd bull and vodka...!" and won't shut up until you have a sip. Mental note to buy lemonade next time and pretend it is a vodka and tonic so that she'll leave me alone.

So I had a fun, unplanned night out, bonded with my mum-friend, danced, sung, even stomped, drank and had silly/d&m conversations with complete strangers. What fun! Highly recommend going to see this band at least once - they play at the Excelsior again first Friday of March.

* I might also add that I'm weaning E-chan again now - nearly done, and almost no emotion around it from me this time at all. Been there, done that I suppose. He was getting so little milk from me compared with the bottle, and breastfeeding was becoming a circus of trying to keep the little blighter focussed on the task... "suck suck suck - oooh what's that noise? - suck suck - what's Dad up to? - suck suck - tickle mummy's side - suck suck - pinch mummy's arm - suck - what happens if I bite? "YOW!!" oh that's funny!! And so on...

No comments: