07 June 2006

False alarm #3... 41 weeks pregnant...

This pregnancy is now officially 1 week longer than average (but not out of the realm of normality).

Had 8 or so hours of regular contractions yesterday. We thought I was going into labour. The thing that was fishy was that the contractions weren't that painful and didn't stop me from holding down conversations or doing other things. Kind of a stomach tightening/period cramp with the occasional back ache.

So we got all prepared, rang the inlaws like they asked us to, and they are headed over today.
Then I was tired so had a nap, and the contractions petered out. And stopped.

That's right. 3/4 of the grandparents are here in Sidonee, but no sign of baby.

Had drs appt as scheduled this morning. Had the first internal exam of my whole pregnancy, which was a bit more unpleasant than a pap-smear. He said there has been some thinning of the cervix (as usually happens when you go into labour), but no signs that I am actually in labour. Getting mild contractions again now. Fingers crossed (but not holding my breath). There is a good chance that I'll go into labour on my own some time in next few days, and I'll go in again on Saturday to hook into a machine that measures baby's heartrate over 20 or so minutes to make sure everything is OK, along with me monitoring that it is still moving around regularly.

Worst case scenario is an induction for next Tuesday (unfortunately they don't do them on weekend or public holidays - isn't it great that biology, which has little relation whatsoever to the Earth Calendar, is forced to fit in with medical services? I think if there is any emergency, they wouldn't hesitate, but normally they'd induce from 10 days overdue which is Saturday.

At least weather is sunny and I can go for walks with Mum today.

Hope to see some of you soon, with baby in tow!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baby isn't stoopid: s/he knows it's been bloody cold this week, and is staying where it's warm until the rain stops.

Here's hoping s/he's not so much of a cissy that s/he decides to wait till spring!

meririsa said...

Yes, good that baby shows signs of being smart enough to stay where it is warm and snuggly.