28 May 2006

Schemes for making my employer feel guilty for delaying my job interview until the week my baby is due....

Yes you read that right. Rough timeline for you...

Date I told my bosses I was pregnant: 22 November 2005 (see merry risa: Report on this weeks’ to do list)
What was done to resolve what would happen with my position from May onwards and who would replace me between 22 November and March 2006: bugger all
Work contract expired: April 30, extended to 31 May 2006 when they couldn't get shit together on time
Date job application was due: 11 May (ie 11 days after I left for Maternity leave)
Date I found out I would have to sit an interview (and only after I rang various people up to find out what the hell was going on): 26 May
Date they wanted to hold the interview, knowing full well the below: 30 May
Date of interview: tomorrow afternoon, 29 May
Baby due: 31 May 2006 (and I should point out the due date is only a statistical average, and the baby could have come weeks ago or might be as late as 10 June).

In summary, they decided to lengthen the term of my contract to beyond the standard year of maternity leave (which was a nice thing to do in concept). However, there are all these things they need to do when they increase the length of a contract, one being publicly advertising the position again. This got procrastinated, and I didn't end up finding out when I'd have to apply for my job until my last week of work, and I had to hand over my work to 5-6 collegues because they didn't get a replacement sorted out in time (apparently they can't do that until my own position is sorted).

Yeh, I'm pissed off about having this to worry about at a time when I should be focussing on getting ready for parenthood and looking after my health. Think I came down with a slight cold over the weekend. The only thing that stops me from flatly refusing to interview is that I'd forfeit my maternity leave rights entirely, and knowing that, they haven't given me an alternative (besides a telephone interview). Being a Scorpio, I thought I should come up with some things to say/do to make the managers responsible for putting me in this position feel a little bit (more) guilty. Going into labour during the interview would be priceless, but unfortunately cannot be arranged!

I have assertively discussed the issue with both my managers and HR regularly over the past few months to try to get someone to do something about the situation, and this has not got me anywhere, and I have not hidden my dissatisfaction at the slowness of action (nor overdone the complaining). Have no faith that a complaint will be taken seriously or acted upon, and not sure that I have grounds unless I can show financial loss or injury, although I certainly have the moral high ground.

Here are the things I've thought of so far:

1) Faint during interview.
2) Assuming they launch into an explanation/apology about the hold up between the 11 May & 26 May, say "Yes, well that certainly explains the delay over the past few weeks..."
3) "Well, we joked around the office that I'd probably be having my interview as the labour pains started, but didn't actually think it would be left THIS late!!"
4) Insist on coming in in person for interview so collegues can be fully aware of the situation I've been put in (I actually think that is why they want me to do the interview by phone, to avoid even the smallest spectacle).

You can see which kind of mood I'm channelling here (passive agressive). Any other ideas?
If serious ones, let me know before midday 29 May EST...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spill a glass of water over yourself on the way to the interview: "Oh that? It's just my waters breaking, but don't worry yourselves, let's get on with the interview, we don't want any more delays"

"Tardy! That's a noice pretty name for a liddle girl!"

"I may be a little forgetful, but that's hormones and baby-brain. What's your excuse?"

Anonymous said...

And good luck with both the interview and the baby thing too :)

J said...

OMG - that was today!! How'd you go sweet pea?