06 March 2006

Grumpet :(

Had a serious case of the grumpets today... cumulative effect of not having enough sleep (never seem to be able to get enough - would help if it cooled down...) and having had 2 really busy weekends in a row, on top of everything else that's going on. Will seriously need to limit activities this weekend, as the following weekend we have 3 guests from Japan via Norway including 2 year old. There is always so much to do, and it seems to be birthday season, which I'm happy for, but means the calendar is full of things to do and people to see.

The thing that made me most grumpetty today was my computer problems at work. My hard drive decided it'd had enough last week, and since then, I have been stranded in the city office when I need to be out west, and changing computers every day or so depending on whose desk is free. Lots of opportunities to lose computer files, forget what you should be working on, have someone set you up with the wrong login password so that when you come back from lunch, you're locked out of your computer until you can guess what your password might be etc etc My patience was stretched. Not the end of the world, but difficult with everything else that seems to be going on.

Met someone at a bbq on Sat night who knew someone who had more big issues to deal with whilst being pregnant than we did. I thought having: one of us studying with the other pregnant, 2 household "careers" likely to change direction in the next year, a certain household income cut and 3rd non-earning mouth to feed, and following that a need to move house somewhere cheaper (but that can't happen yet because we're too busy this side of the baby being born... and we're not entirely sure where we should look to move to....) was enough on our plate to justify feeling a little stressed. This other person (whom I'm not likely to ever meet) is 38, has complications with her pregnancy and twins on the way, a mortgage, and a partner who has just emigrated here and isn't too confident with english.

I felt marginally better. I now think "at least I have my health" - the rest will sort itself out one way or another. We're not extravagent spenders and we'll cope on lower income. I chose to be with C-chan because I could see we would get through challenging times together. Well now is one of those times - mostly because of the number of key decisions that we see looming ahead. It's hard to separate the looming decisions from those you need to worry about immediately. Need some quiet time to allow all this to soak in.

I could use a beer, damnit!! That'll just have to wait a few months. Or more, depending on breastfeeding patterns. Damnit again!!

No comments: