07 February 2006

TV gives you nightmares… don’t watch it!!

Am watching “Carnivale” on the national broadcaster and loving it… the freaky events of a carnival – with midget, bearded lady, fortune-telling tarot readers, and healers who can channel life forces from one living thing to another - travelling around America’s south during the Great Depression, and a parallel story of preacher’s rise to fame at the same time… Except the preacher is possessed and only a few people know, and anyone else who finds out tends to end up dead… Last night was a particularly freaky episode. It’s really the only thing on television that I am watching at the moment.

But last night, I had trouble getting to sleep, and while I slipped in and out of consciousness, images of Brother Justin’s black possessed eyes willing another’s wisdom teeth to fall out with a gush of blood, a man’s head getting chopped off, and snake charmer woman being possessed with the spirit of the bearded lady’s dead lover just worked their way into my dream state and caused me to be a little scared!! This has not happened to me in a long time. Full points to the show for the experience it provides!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny you should say that because in my recent'no tellie' phase, Carnivale is the one show I have been tempted to pull the teve out of the cupboard to watch. This urge was tempered partly due to a sense of stubborness and sticking to my plan, but more by the very real fear that I would be spooked too much and not want to go to sleep (impacts of scaryish shows tend to is alone lives solo!!)

Anonymous said...

what the eff was that?? that last bit should have read: 'tend to be amplified when one lives solo'. 'tend to is alone lives solo'??? really, that's just silly.