23 July 2004

When new hobbies turn bad...

New hobby is beginning to peeve me.  Social Volleyball.  Well I’m just not sure how social it is, really.
 
When I first started playing, I had to contend with div 1 players who did nasty spikes best dealt with by ducking.  That stopped after a while, and it started to become more fun as I got better and got to meet new people. But now I find other things making what should be a fun pastime a bit of a chore, namely:
- EVERY Thursday is taken up between 7:30 and 10:30.
- Some people on my team take it a bit too seriously, and I’m one of the shorter, less skilled players…
- I’ve been playing for less than 6 months and people expect me to umpire!! I mean come on!! Not only that, when I say that I really don’t want to, I get chastised for it (“come one, it’s hard at first, but no one’s going to get mad at you if you make a wrong decision” – correction, people DO get quite pissed off with bad umpiring decisions, and had I known I’d have to umpire from the start, I wouldn’t have started playing in this comp – that’s not my idea of fun!!)
- I don’t get that much exercise from it.
 
Dr J’s idea of playing social soccer is looking more attractive every day.

No comments: