24 May 2004

Employee of the year competition – first nominee

This is the first in what could be an annual competition. It really depends on whether I encounter any more outstanding efforts worth writing home about, and if there ends up being more than one at the end of the year, I suppose that is enough to have a winner.

This nomination goes to Sharon*, a checkout operator from a large supermarket chain with an outlet at Broadway, Sydney. I think you will gain an understanding of her outstanding service in the following dialogue:

R: oh – I have a few bags of my own that I would like to fill up first.
(Proceeds to ignore my request and continues packing into plastic. I reiterate my request.)
S: I generally find that too much of a hassle.
R: So much for reducing plastic in landfill and saving the environment and all that.
S: I really don’t care, so long as I make a buck and get ahead in life.

Sharon has demonstrated a strong determination to not save resources that is beyond (or behind?) her age of late teens/early 20s. Even when my irritating habit of wrestling grocery items from her hand to pack into my bags (or repacking the bags so that mine could be full) began to slow her down, she showed amazing perseverance and resolved to pack one more plastic bag!! All this, despite fact that her particular company sells lovely bright green reusable bags to customers so that they can reduce their plastic bag usage.

I would like to commend Sharon for her efforts, and congratulate her for her nomination.

*not her real name

--------------------------

By the way, while on the topic do large supermarket chains pay checkout staff by hourly rates only, or is there a bonus system that rewards churning more people/$ through the checkout?
I will just assume that there is no staff reward system for reducing plastic bag usage.

No comments: