08 November 2007

Yes I think my house was making me sick...

I've been watching a show on Telly when I can these past few weeks:
http://isyourhousekillingyou.sbs.com.au/home/. I lived in a damp-infested terrace a few years back and this is when a lot of my allergy problems got worse. I didn't know you could be allergic to mould at the time, had a vague idea about dust allergies, but didn't really manage it properly. We moved out of there, and things improved a bit, but then I went to an allergy clinic, got tested (and yes I do have allergies to mould, dust and pollens), and was put on an elimination diet.


There were days where I'd wake up (after a night on a dust mitey pillow, in the right kind of weather), and I'd look in the mirrow and almost scream with fright (see left), except my face was so sore and sensitive. You can't cover it with make-up, as that only makes things worse. Most days, I'd have to soldier on, feeling quite self-conscious, and putting up with stares and unsolicited (and uninformed) advice on what clears up eczema. In addition, my nose ran like a dripping tap (I'd thought this was normal by now).

It occurred to me that things - toxins, allergens etc - must have built up in my system and caused my system to overload and break out into symptoms. But I didn't really have any scientific knowledge to prove to me that my home environment may have been a major cause of my problems, say when compared to food intolerances.

Well this show has been enlightening. Poor families buy houses they can afford only to find out they have dreadful damp problems and their house is riddled with mould. Other families are inadvertently introducing toxic chemicals into their home, through cleaning solvents, treated pine, pesticides. I've been trying to manage dust levels in our new place for a few years, but I could be better at it - vacuum more often, air the bed, hot wash sheets etc etc. In addition, I think my allergy shots (pollen and dust mite) are beginning to have a desensitising effect (should be complete in a year or so). And I've gone low chemical with our cleaning materials - microfibre cloths, earth friendly, bicarb and vinegar etc. Did you know that vinegar is the most effective treatment of mould, and that bleach may even just provide mould with more food?

Anyhow, this above web site is worth a squiz if you want some pointers on potential issues your home might have.

4 comments:

alison said...

Wow, that website is really good. I may change my mould battle plan using some of their ideas - till we moved into this house I thought mould only grew on food. Not walls, not clothing, not shoes, not books, not furniture, not window panes....

I woke up with a face like that the morning after the last election. I would like to think I'm allergic to John Howard, but probably it was just the grotty motel we were staying in

Mermaidgrrrl said...

Can I ask you a question that is totally not ass-vice but more curiosity? Can you use pure mineral make-up? Or have you tried it and what do you think if you have? I'm getting some for a X-mas/birthday gift from LM (from the Inika range from good ol' SA) but don't know anyone who has used it much so was interested. I'm finding I get watery eyes from quite a bit of eye make-ups and thought the mineral make-up sounded great and thought if anyone knows it would probably be you! How much of their claims is hype and how much is true?

meririsa said...

Hey, MMG! I think it would depend on why one's skin is sensitive. If it's chemical related, going for more natural and/or low allergenic substances would be worth a shot (I distinguish the two though - I learned the hard way that essential oil based products only made my skin worse). Mineral make-up would be made from little bits of crushed up silicate based rocks, so should be relatively inert compared to organic compounds, I say as someone who studied chemistry and geology many years ago!
For my skin, I need to consider the physical irritant side of things - little bits get in and irritate the already sensitive nerve endings, and the brushes with you apply the make up make me itch, not to mention covering up the skin so it can't breathe. I've never had much trouble with Mascara, but other make-up I just avoid unless my skin is clear. Luckily, I never did become much of a make-up wearer....

meririsa said...

PS Betty Sue - John Howard has the same effect on me - I've tried to eliminate him as an allergen in my life, but have been struggling with this. Vinegar doesn't work, nor does bleach, or even my trusty microfibre dust mit!!