23 November 2007

armed robbery, 3 way car crashes and lacerations to the left hand

It's been dramatic around here lately...

E-chan and I were coming home at around 5:15 on Wednesday, and found the staff of the nearby chemist hanging around outside their shop with a few other people. On closer inspection, one of the pharmacists had her hand covering her mouth. On closer inspection, she was gasping and going into shock. The other pharmacist was walking back from down the street, with an angry expression, as if she'd just come back from an unsuccessful chase. Concerned shop owners came in to comfort them, others were ringing the cops on mobile phones. They walked into their shop and locked the door shut behind them.

Then yesterday, there was a three-way car crash near my house. A car door had to be removed, peak hour traffic was diverted, fire engines and ambulances at hand.... the works. Many onlookers standing by.

And then also yesterday, without onlookers (E-chan was asleep, thank goodness), I foolishly and regretfully cut the webbing between my index and middle finger on my left hand whilst trying to remove the stone of an avocado with a blunt knife (note to self - get out a chopping board instead of holding avocado, and use a sharper knife next time). Wound was quite deep, so I saw before the blood. Luckily, I went into First Aid mode - my perception zoomed back up behind my head, and I watched myself locate my first aid kit, blood dripping all over the floor, washing the cut, finding a suitable gauze, and working out how to keep my two fingers from moving too much using my working hand and a bandage. Blood flow stemmed, it was avocado on toast (still thinking of my stomach - see?!) while my left hand was elevated for bit. This cut is going to be a bummer to heal. Seems I can still type though.

No comments: