02 August 2007

Thanks, and talking about long term relationship habits....

Thanks for kind expressions of sympathy about my Nan. I didn't go to the funeral, but took a moment somewhere by myself to say goodbye.

My RL friend Seagreen was talking about family relationships. Kind of in a similar vein... Both my sets of grandparents reached at least 50 years together, and no doubt created a few dynamics of their own in that time.

I thought it was interesting to hear, amongst the grief, what my Gran had to say about losing Grandad many years ago, and (superficially) how my Pop has changed after losing his partner of 60 years.

I think my Mum's parents were truly happy and content together. Nan did all the talking, and Pop was quite quiet - e.g. "How are you, Pop?" "Oh, well thanks, dear!". And that was often the limit of his conversation. Mum says after Nan's funeral last week, he just started talking all the time!! Mum was suprised!! Perhaps he always talked more than we knew, but mostly when alone with Nanna?

My dad's dad was a bit, well, traditional (didn't talk about emotions and at times said insensitive things). But all in all, I think they were fairly happy companions, until Granny started to get alzeimers. Anyway, years ago I was visiting Granny just before Grandad's funeral, and one morning, after a sleep in, she said "oh, it's sooooo nice to sleep in! I haven't done it for 50 years!!". (She used to do a lot for Grandad, who had hurt his back during his life and was quite an invalid for the last 10 or so years).

No comments: