05 August 2007

Snapshot of suburb #2(?)

Old man sitting at bus stop whistling perfectly - good enough to be the whistling parts of "Jealous Guy" or "Dock of the bay". But he is whistling the tune to: "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands!"

------------------------

Middle Aged man walking down shop-lined street on a Sunday morning, singing his heart out, made me smile. Good voice too*. Drew a lot of stares from those who expect the ordinary.

------------------------

Walking up past a row of 2-storey terrace houses late one afternoon, and the balcony of one of them is full of student-aged people. On the street opposite, there is an Alfa Romeo parked, and a young man is seriously checking the car out - walking around it, looking at the detail. Then comes a shout from the balcony, a posh woman's voice with a private school accent:

Posh Voice: Naice car, isn't it?!
Car Enthusiast: Yes!
PV: It's Mine! My Dad bought it for me.... for my birthday!
-pause-
CE: How old are you?!!!!
-pause-
PV: 18!

That, I thought, is the ugly side of wealth. That someone so young that they couldn't have earned an expensive car in their own right, shamelessly yells out to anyone who listens that her Dad bought her the car for her 18th birthday; that her voice almost seemed to be jeering at the young guy who may never be able to afford such a car, possibly challenging him to come up with a better story.

Even if I was moderately wealthy, I would try and teach my children not to take wealth for granted, not to disrespect or flaunt it to those not so fortunate, to think how they could use their wealth for the good of society. They would not get a car for their birthday - they'd have to save up for one if they really needed it.


* Does anyone from 'Delaide remember that busker who used to don a barber-shop hat and red and white suit and sing light-operatic songs in Rundle Mall? Well he had the same kind of voice.

1 comment:

J said...

I loved that mall singing guy. He was so relentlessly cheery and vocal. I often find myself singing at work when I leave for a walk to the toilets, because the relative emptiness of the hall way allows for singing without getting stared at. Singing can make you feel so happy.