04 June 2007

New roomy

After 4 weeks in the job, the lady I share an office with has gone of leave for 3 weeks, and has been replaced with a temp! It's funny to spend time getting to know someone on this level for a second time in as many months. And last month, I was the newby, whereas this month, I actually know a bit and can help out new chick.

I got the dreaded unsolicited eczema advice again today, from this temp. It starts as it often does "Oooh! what have you done to your wrist/fingers/throat?". I replied, then warned her that the reason I had come over a bit wary was that I get a lot of unsolicited advice. "Oh, I know, I know exactly how you feel!! I get it too!" But unfortunately it didn't stop there. I gave her the benefit of the doubt that she has suffered as I have, but there were few parallels in our cases. She, for example, has never felt the need to get allergy tested and find out what causes hers. For her, finding the right low scent/chemical moisterisers and soap alternatives was enough. Not for me, I told her. She ranted about the brand of moisturisers/cleaners that had "cured her". Sigh.

I decided to rant on for a while about what I had tried and hadn't worked, and that I was considering getting dustmite desensitisation done as my dust allergy is becoming worse, and how hard it was to keep up the 3 pronged attack of no irritants/soap, no allergens, and treating the symptoms. Finally, a bit of silence, before a last ditch effort to push her brand of moisterisers/cleansers on me "I was sceptical, but it worked for me!!". Some people just can't take a hint. And one of these days, I will just routinely nod and say "thanks for the advice!". But dammit, she had me at "...I get eczema too!"

Yawn. Back to work. At least the topic probably won't come up again.

No comments: