19 January 2007

Wild, wild life

Over many years, my parent's house has been visited by possums... they somehow get into the walls and ceiling, and set up residence, causing a lot of hassle. Possums, you see, travel long distances, and if you capture one and drive many km away to get it away from your house, you are a) removing a native animal from familiar surroundings, and b) wasting your time, as it will probably find it's way back to your house within a couple of nights. Once, a possum set up camp in the wall above the electricity meter box, and decided to scratch a hole in the wall so that it could hang its tail through and thermoregulate when things got a bit too warm! Imagine the suprise when my folks found a possum tail hanging through a hole in my old bedroom!

So over the years, my father has waged a war against the possums with chicken wire - his only defence for his house being to keep the darling things OUT! He thought he had every possible possum-sized hole covered, but recently, has heard the suspicious sounds of possums scratching and hissing somewhere under the house. This has my father just about pulling his hair out in frustration (he nearly does pull his hair out, so lucky he has a good head of hair still).

The other week, a swarm of bees decided to follow a rebel queen bee and set up hive in their light fitting, leading to a bee plague in their kitchen and up in the ceiling cavity. And just then, I got this email from my parents, and had to post an excerpt, as I could not help laughing:

"Our amazing run of annoyances continued when mum found a large blue tongue lizard on the step of the store room by the freezer yesterday morning. It ran into the wardrobe and crapped all over the place. Mum thinks it went outside when she left the door open, but I'm still wondering if it's in the wardrobe. How it got in is a mystery."

I think they should move before the house is taken over!

No comments: