18 December 2005

What!? Oh, it was all a dream...

Had a dream last night that I went into hospital to give birth, and woke up later with a baby. I'd somehow missed the whole labour process. I asked my Mum what went on, and there was some feeble excuse about something happening and me "going out like a light" and, well, here's the baby (which was miraculously already behaving like a 6-month old, and already able to respond to me with monosyllabic words!).

The next question I had for my family around me was do I have a boy or a girl, as my Mum had respected our wishes and kindly dressed the bub in Unisex clothes. They kind of looked at each other, then told me that we didn't know - this one had even the Dr stumped. In the dream, I deduced that the baby was either intergender, or a female with larger than usual genetalia. However, it wasn't that great an issue, as now I had this cute baby to play with and feed, and in my dream I was experimenting with express pumps and showing the baby off to work collegues (not at the same time). Of course, everyone was asking whether it was a boy or girl, and I said we didn't know yet, and we didn't have a name for it either.

How interesting. I think this was my subconscious playing "what if..." with me. I have the 18-19 week ultrasound coming up in a few weeks, and we might be able to find out the gender of the child - I wasn't sure I wanted/needed to know, but after having that dream I suddenly want to know!!

-----------------

This morning is a cool, breezy respite from the hot mugginess we've had for the past couple of days. Might cool down the hot-heads organising riots around the country (it's spread to Melbourne now, with a couple of Santa's getting bashed up on Lygon St). The great thing about this weather is you can wash all your bedding and get it all dry in a couple of hours - not an easy thing for someone who has no back yard, let alone Hills hoist, and has philosophical objections to using the clothes dryer that came with the flat (not to mention a summer aversion the extra heat it generates).

At this time of the week (before 7am Sundays) Newtown is at its quietest. A similar kind of not-a-soul-to-be-found eerieness that was on the streets just before the Olympic opening ceremony. What am I doing up? Well at present I'm a timezone freakozoid, crashing on the couch soon after 8:30pm and waking up with the sun between 5 and 6am. Can't help it - might as well get up and get stuff done. I'm so behind on my xmas cards this year, that I'm going to resort on some last minute xmas emails, that will take more time than sending cards, but will at least reach people in time. Or maybe I'll just send late cards and hope people don't feel unloved in between xmas day and when the cards finally arrive? At least we have made, painted and erected our cardboard xmas tree! It slots together and is sitting on our coffee table. With luck, we'll be able to dissemble it without wrecking it, and store it flat for next year!

No comments: