14 June 2005

vital liquids

I have returned to normal now, I promise. Nice to be annoyingly positive rather than annoyingly negative for a change, isn't it?

The picture above is my beeewdiful beer cosy (stubby holder) which I received at a certain industry conference I attended a few months back. The neck of the bottle goes through the top there and the chesty bits jut out so you kind of feel like you are groping your bottle as you drink. The back has g-string detail!!

The drought - assuming it is a 4-year drought, and not the beginning of a 50-year drier than average cycle as I heard in a scientific report last year - is worrying me. According the the seminar I attended, the last 50 years of last century (1950-2000) was a climatic mini-cycle in which we had wetter than the long term average rainfall. For this neck of the woods anyway. Will have to check whether this just applies to this side of the Great Dividing Range.

What's irritating me most is that my block of flats is apparently doing nothing about it... no system for tennants to save their vege-washing water and re-use it for the garden, no mandatory roll out of flow regulating showerheads, no way of monitoring any one unit's water usage (so that none of us are accountable for the amount of water we are using, and the guy above us has nightly 20 minute long showers). Planning to write a letter with my next rent payment to see if the strata group has any plans, or to at least to get them thinking about it.

1 comment:

BSharp said...

Hey there it is super hard trying to find the key to get a group of people larger than one to take very simple positive action.

But wonder grrl, you can be a change agent.

I suggest going through the steps to get a water saving showerhead in yr rented flat (took me a lot of fast talking with the agent), then work out how to roll it out in the rest.. letter to Strata a good idea.

And luckily - Sydney Water are giving them away FREE here:
http://www.sydneywater.com.au/SavingWater/WaterRestrictions/

ta da! good luck.