03 June 2005

Frost bite

I'm thinking this is the coldest winter I've had yet in Sydney (as you'd expect from a drought year, my more agriculturally minded colleagues tell me). Out west, I've seen more morning frosts and gully mists this year than I did the whole of last winter already. Grass going yellow from the dry first, then the cold. Crisp under foot. Freezing mornings that break late morning into a warm, blue blue blue skied day.

Despite the cold weather, I'm in a nice warm kind of place at the moment. Nice, nice, nice. Beaming love and getting it back (no hormones involved I'm sure).

Work is hellishly overloaded (due to a hiatus in human resourcing while they find us a Director), but I feel like I kind of know how to go about most of what I have to do for a change. Missed a "lets talk about our workload" meeting the other day, but next time I was in the office, I had people come up to me saying... "Meririsa, I had no idea how much work you had on, or the breadth of the work that you are doing at the moment! You know you can always come to me for help if you want to know something, or need someone to run something by??!!" I felt only vaguely patronised (these people are all at least 10 years my senior after all) and very warm and fuzzy, as you know you are part of the "office family" (if you can call it that) when people say such nice sympathetic things. I guess when you stop caring about certain things, and you start to feel like you are hitting your stride for a bit (enjoy it while it lasts!), this is what happens!

Other cool things that have been happening:
- Gave way to a (manual) skooter-er on the footpath the other day, and he beamed at me in return
- Feeling fit and healthy and am not catching the full version of colds and flus going around
- Have the energy to give almost strangers (people you run into regularly but don't know) a smile and a "hello"
- cooking new things such as "beef and guiness pie", "dhal", "vege soup with black eyed beans*", and roast celeriac.
- mananging to wake up early again - love being up and about before anyone else (so long as I've had enough sleep, of course....)
-C-chan has nearly finished study for the semester, and can devote his spare time to me for the next month or 2!!

*new, favourite ingredient

No comments: