06 September 2008

How long has it been since the feminist movement now?

We just had people over - mums I know from our antenatal class plus their toddlers. We catch up every few months or so.

C-chan was up at the crack of dawn* making mini-cupcakes, then decorating them with simple letters of the alphabet. Pretty darn tasty, if you ask me! He also cut up fruit on a platter, while I put ham and cheese in small croissants, did the dishes and swanned about in my ugg boots. Team effort, really, as is usual in our household when we're both there.

Result: "Oh, Meririsa! wonderful cupcakes! Wow, you've put on all this food."

I didn't hear this therefore couldn't correct them, and C-chan smiled gracefully and was too modest to say he'd made a majority of the food. I think in future I'm going to make the assumption (when visiting a household with a heterosexual couple) that the male did the cooking - "oh Bob!? did you cook this? No? Oh I thought I heard someone say you did!". I may make myself (even more) unpopular, though...


* OK slight exaggeration - it's a weekend and we didn't get up until 7:30...

2 comments:

BSharp said...

Hm, yes and in newtown too!. Shame you didn't get a chance to correct them. When I go to visit my senior Aunts who live in "little britain" - they act like Mr B is going to be living on take-away every night or defrosting something I whipped up before going away.

He might not be overly enthusiastic as a chef, but he is actually capable of going to the supermarket and cooking stuff!

...and 7.30 was a sleep in for you.. my word... that's a very special early morning for me..

meririsa said...

Actually not a Newtown crowd - a mix of inner west suburbs almost out to Strathfield in this instance. Perhaps that's why?!!

And re: the lack of sleep-ins - the sacrifices you make as a parent etc etc :)