02 April 2008

New job starts with no hitches...

...apart from some of the usual administrative work & behind the scenes signing of forms lagging behind my actual new job commencement date.

So far so good. I even organised a meeting - set agenda and all that other related stuff - for my second day on the job. It feels more challenging in more of the right ways than my last job, without the menial tasks I used to have to do, but not so "in the deep end" with a far-too-broad-job-description challenging as per a job I once did. Most of the challenges I actually know how to go about, I just need to work out the whos, whens and whys. The boffins I work with seem to work on interesting stuff, so it should keep me stimulated.

Some good points:
- my new office is closer to that of some of my friends
- increase in incidental exercise due to increased number of flights of stairs I have to climb several times daily
- closer to a pub
- closer to E-chan's day care
- closer to gym and pool (handy for lunch time swims and pre-work gym sessions)
- only share office with one other person
- exposure to cutting edge research
- view from desk includes ferny rock garden and can also see sky

Some bad points:
- increased number of flights of stairs I have to climb several times daily (4 flights to get to lunch and coffee room!)
- office near a workshop with engine noises and oily smells
- moderate spider population in my office (but have only seen Daddy Long Legs so far)
- old brown carpet on floor
- nearest green space is being landscaped and will take probably 6 months to be finished
- evil vending machine nearby with double mini toblerone packets selling for only $2.20...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for new work! My office is RIGHT next to workshop, smelly, noisy and I have to watch the techs scratching themselves all day. Yay for Toblerone machine!
Will be in Sydtown in May at some stage. Don't know when, will find out from Moneypenny. Would be ace to catch up to make up for my retardedness at christentime.
Oh yeah, Holly pregnant too.

Guitarboy

meririsa said...

Hello Guitarboy! Look forward to seeing you in May. Congrats about the impending fatherhood! How exciting. Don't listen to what they say, toddlers are lovely!
xxx