17 August 2005

same old, same old - us vs them

This week I'm tired of this little Us against Them mentality that always pops up within organisations. I've seen this everywhere I work. One part of an organisation (or a department) distrusts another, and clusters of conspiracy-theorising people form, lunching together to speculate about why the other group seems to be the favoured sons or daughters of the workplace.
A bit of competition is healthy, some would argue. I'm not convinced I've ever seen this sort of behaviour lead somewhere positive. And of course good leadership would quash such behaviour, foster understanding between people working for the same place, remind people that they should all have the same goal in mind.
Argh! People are destructive beings, and I'm not even talking physically or at war.

No comments: