27 March 2009

Consumerism gone bonkers

I grew up in a different state from my relatives. I got the odd letter from my grandparents and on occasion, from favoured Aunties. Many of Grandma's letters in particular I still have, because they make me laugh and remember what she was like. I think I got a present (nb - singular) for birthdays and Christmas. I don't really remember - it can't have been that important. We agreed amongst family that this would stop when we turned 18. I do remember (most ungratefully) that many of the clothes sent to me from interstate relos were really not my style (e.g. pink or disney), or were ill fitting (even then, I had broad shoulders and muscular legs).

So now I look at what is sent over to my son. He gets:
- multiple birthday presents from each set of grandparents and from each uncle (ie toys plus clothes)
- multiple Christmas presents from each set of grandparents and from each uncle
- and 3-5 parcels per year, for no apparent reason usually with 3-5 things for him

And, in his short life, he has accumulated:
- 50 gazillion matchbox cars, planes, helicopters*
- a sizable train set and more trains and carriages than he can fit on the track
- 5 teddy bears, plus another 10 or so soft toys
- 5-6 tip trucks
- Over 20 DVD's of TV series and kids movies
- Gazillions of baby toys, rattles, things to teethe with etc (which were about as interesting to him as a plastic bottle filled with dried rice or chickpeas).
- 2 and a half shelves of books (some of them my old books from when I was a kid, and includes Harry Potter, which we bought relatively recently, but still...)
- and much much more.

* more than my brother and I had combined by the time we were 8-9 years old.

So here is my conundrum. I'm trying to cut down the stuff we have, and not get things we don't need. I'm ashamed of all the stuff and clutter we have, yet I know most of the stuff we have isn't stuff we've bought. However, it's ungrategul to say you don't want the gifts you are given out of generosity and love. But did my Grandparents love me any less because they gave me less stuff? No, of course not.

One grandparent's view is that if we don't want something, we can get rid of it. Sounds simple, but in reality, it means:
- storing stuff somewhere to take to a charity bin (none very close to my place, and I keep forgetting, therefore have bags of stuff at home to get rid of).
- saving stuff somewhere to give away to closer friends when the time is right (again, I forget about them, and invariably find them a year later)
- throwing out perfectly good stuff in the trash (WASTE WASTE WASTE!)
- Videos - what do you do with them? Charities don't want them, e-bay maybe (I'd rather not go there), or garage sale (don't really have somewhere to do it).

All the above is fine when you have plenty of time and mobility, but we don't at the moment, having both of us working, and a toddler, and me pregnant. I would argue that them compulsively buying stuff makes them feel warm and fuzzy, helps them to express their feelings. At times the presents are thoughtful or something we don't have already, but much of the time, it is just more "stuff".**

I've told my mum many times not to give me clothes, because she never ever buys anything that I like (it was getting ridiculous - I had to say something to her bluntly in my early 20's ...), and when she gives me her old clothes, they are always in colours that she knows I never wear. Yet SHE STILL DOES IT to this day !! Getting hand-me-downs in general is fine, by the way, as I don't feel like resources are being wasted making them. But really - does anyone have the same taste in clothes as their mother? I suppose I should at least be grateful that she does shop in her local St Vinnes sometimes for clothes for E-chan rather than buying brand new. Babies sometimes wear things for 3 months or less before they grow out of them.

Anyway, I've tried dropping hints, discussing gently the possibility that presents are being given to make up for not being able to be living in the same city, and that while we appreciate that sentiment, it's way more than I was given as a kid, and I never felt like I went without. They agree. But as C-chan and I were talking about the other night, a lot of people acknowledge their behaviour, then keep on doing it. I also talk about trying to keep down the amount of "stuff" we have (particularly when we lived in the 2 br unit). But it falls on deaf ears. Except with my Father, who I know has similar feelings to me about buying stuff, but it's not him doing the buying, anyway.

I'm thinking maybe in future visits from the grandparents in particular, I'll get them involved with helping me get rid of all the stuff we don't need... But really, can people not control their urges to shop for new things all the time? Does loving your grandchild justify all the wasted resources? I know I should look more at my own buying behaviour more rather than worrying about theirs, but all this "stuff" is our problem to sort out too...

4 comments:

BSharp said...

tough one isn't it? I've just been to the Uk where they do a *lot* of shopping. And its not just the stuff its all mixed up with caring for each other, time spend together, etc etc.

I reckon with the clothes you don't want - straight to the charity bin in fine.

Ethan's dvd's - crumbs, no idea. What you need is a kind of baby-swap thing. Like those free-bookshelves at some cafes/ workplaces. Next mum's group? A crate at the day care place?

Here in holland they have one day a year when anyone can sell anything on the street without a permit. Its a hilarious carnival, I think lots of households to a clean out and sell stuff for 10 cents.

I heard a friend recently say her (8 month pregnant) sister is going to ban plastic completely for the baby, and it telling everyone in advance - warning them they won't accept plastic gifts! Wonder how long they'll manage... but a nice try.

Anyway, good luck!
(ps the family store in Duwich hill takes brick-a-brack and toys I think)

alison said...

I know what you mean - my mum is constantly trying to give me things, and I have to keep pushing back. And I am horrified by the amount of stuff some of my friends kids have. (as an aside, and I'm not a doctor, but could the rise in ADD be in part attributed to kids having more stuff because they are constantly being distracted by new things? just a thought...)

A suggestion about the DVDs - ask the grandparents if they'll pay for a QuickFlix subscription instead - that way Ethan will get a constant stream of new things to watch (and so will you) and you won't have the DVDs building up because you just send them back when you're done.

(I did this for my parents because they were buying a lot of DVDs and I know that when they die I am going to toss out every single one, because I don't like On The Buses, the Two Ronnies, Hancock's Half Hour etc etc)

Anonymous said...

Often women's refuges will pick up from your home-because they can't give out their address, it's harder to collect donations but they are just as much in need of short term things: women and children stay there with very little.

meririsa said...

Some really good suggestions - like the DVD swap idea, and I've often thought I'd donate unwanted books to my playgroup. But giving clothes and kids stuff to a women's shelter is a great idea - thanks. I must find one and ring them. I'd much rather the stuff I don't need goes to someone who needs it immediately, rather than have it circulated amongst people who have plenty.