11 January 2005

A small thing to get off my chest...

Sometimes I get cc’d in on emails in which I am the only female, and the first line is addressed: “Good afternoon, Gentlemen,”.

How rude is that? If you’re going to be all formal, is it that hard to insert “and Lady” at the end of your sentence?? Have not, to date, paid these particular men back with an email commencing with “good afternoon, Ladies”. I know I should make a witty comment about the somewhat dubious title of honorary bloke that seems to have been thrust upon me, but when? where? and will it be taken the wrong way by the generally male industry partners who are so generously funding our research?!! I usually end up getting on with things after a minute of private fuming! Think I’m possibly better off aspiring to be a competent female in a male dominated field who lets comments like that slide off her… BUT JUST BETWEEN YOU AND ME, IT GIVES ME THE S*&%$S!!

No comments: