20 April 2004

Quick post on events from first few days @ new job

Managed to go to wrong refectory/footbridge when attempting to meet Knightwriter for lunch : (
No phone or email contact details until next week!! a bit of a problem when you need people to ring you back...
I have already met someone whose mother lives not only in the same suburb as my folks, but in the adjacent street!!
I am now one of the minority of sharply dressed people for the first time in my life!! But then it's easy when surrounded by jeans and t-shirt clad youths
Concepts of what I will have to do are sinking in - some things will be tough, others a welcome challenge, others are easy to grasp...
Introductions, introductions...
most unsettling thing - is the way some people look at each other knowingly when my position is explained to them and say "oh, yes... you'll be able to help with <insert in house joke/ongoing problem project>!! ha ha ha!!".
most silly thing I did - now getting accustomed to regular self-introductions with other staff, I started off boldly in the photocopy room this morning with "Hi, I don't think we met yesterday...". Response: "No we didn't - I'm Michael from Tosheeba and I'm here to fix the photocopier...". Me: "Oh - that would explain that then. I'm new. Obviously."
What a dag!

No comments: